Welcome to the BC Floatplane Association Website!
The BC Floatplane Association represents the interests of floatplane pilots flying in B.C. The BCFA is a COPA flight 72.
The BCFA works actively to:
- Preserve access to wilderness areas of BC
- Maintain a proactive partnership with BC Parks
- Engage in constructive dialogue with other user groups
- Promote flight safety, environmental responsibility, and awareness of the rights of other users to enjoy the wilderness experience
The BCFA offers free membership to pilots who have recently received their float endorsment through one of the British Columbia flying schools.
BCFA members are kept up to date on new events, access issues and many other items of interest through our website, meetings, newsletters and email.
Aircraft access to BC Parks and Protected Areas is governed by the recently amended Section 27 of the Parks Regulations, which states that ".. a person may use an aircraft to arrive at or depart from a Park or Recreation Area.." subject to Schedule A, where it lists a number of Lakes with access restrictions. BCFA members may obtain seasonal pre-authorization for access to many of these restricted locations through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Partnership Agreement (PA) between BC Parks and the BCFA. This seasonal pre-authorization is available only to paid up BCFA members, through this website. The majority of lakes in the Park system are now open to aircraft access without any pre-authorization requirements.
In the Members Only Section you can:
- View the BC Parks Regulation (Section 27) including the list of restricted locations which require pre-authorization by a Parks Officer.
- Apply online for Seasonal Pre-Authorization to those restricted locations, and fill out the online End of Season Report to BC Parks.
- View the current MOU and PA signed between the BCFA and BC Parks.
- View "Places to Fly" section
Annual General Meeting and Fly-ins
2018 Summer BCFA AGM Fly In
• When: July 13 to 15, 2018
• Where: Timothy Lake, B.C. at Northwood Lodge & Resort
• Details: Cabin and campground reservations are required. Please contact the lodge at (250)- 396 -7311 or firstname.lastname@example.org We can’t wait to see everyone there!
• Request for Donations: We are seeking donations for our silent auction and are hoping that our members can help us. If you have any donations, please bring them with you and if you are unable to attend our AGM but are able to help out with a donation please contact email@example.com Anything helps! ☺ Thank you, we appreciate it.
BCFA typically holds other weekend fly-ins during the summer months at unique and beautiful lakes around BC. Watch the News & Events page for announcements or check your newsletter.
The Freedom to Fly Floats in BC Scholarship 2018
The BC Floatplane Association (BCFA) recognizes the need to continue our freedom to fly floats in BC. The BCFA are offering one $2,500.00 scholarship towards a seaplane rating. The applicant must be a BC resident currently holding a valid Canadian Private Pilot Licence or higher with a minimum of 150 hrs total time. The winner of the BCFA scholarship must successfully complete the seaplane training in BC and their Licence endorsed within twelve (12) months of the time the scholarship was awarded. Funds will be paid directly to the flight school of choice. The recipient will be chosen on a basis of merit, career or float flying aspirations and dedication, as well as contributions to their community. One of the two recommendation letters must be from a pilot you have flown with. The BCFA 2018 Scholarship Guidelines references the additional requirements to be met.
(Scholarship Value: $2,500.00)
Free Membership for new floatplane endorsments!
Yes that's correct - free membership - The BCFA will give pilots who have obtained a floatplane endorsment in British Columbia free BCFA membership for 1 year. Just apply within 90 days of getting your floatplane endorsment and we will get you signed up.
Don't have your float endorsement yet?